Unir los esfuerzos de la academia y la industria mediante la formación de alianzas e investigaciones que aporten con recursos actualizados necesarios para que la nueva generación de profesionales pueda promover el desarrollo de la Biotecnología y la Industria Agrícola en Puerto Rico.
Es nuestra visión convertirnos en el primer centro de Biotecnología y Agrobiotecnología donde se promueva el desarrollo económico basado en la ciencia para Puerto Rico.
In 2008 the Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico (PCUPR) secured financing in the amount of $1.8M (65%) from the US Department of Commerce’s Economic Development Administration (EDA) for the construction of a Biotechnology and Agrobiotechnology Research and Learning Center.
In addition, PCUPR allocated $1.0M (35%) matching funds, for a total construction project budget of $2.8M. As part of this project, PCUPR leased a 22,000 sq. ft. building from the Puerto Rico Industrial Development Company (PRIDCO) in the town of Ponce. And so, the CEIBA center was born…
- Capacity-building trainings in biotechnology and agricultural biotechnology.
- The tools and knowledge resources of a world-class biotechnology graduate and undergraduate curriculum with special emphasis in agro-biotechnology.
- Specialized laboratory analysis services, workshops and conferences that promote entrepreneurship and bioscience-related businesses.
- Capacity building programs specifically attuned to the needs of Puerto Rico’s agro and biotechnology industry, and the demands of an emerging knowledge-based economy.
- Research in areas such as Biological Control, Plant Genetics, Bioinformatics and Microbiology, among others that add value and enhances firm and regional competitiveness.
- Increase the number of highly skilled agro and biotechnology professionals and entrepreneurs.
- Promote science-based economic development by supporting commercial competitiveness locally as well regionally.
- Support the dynamic innovation and the continued development of the PCUPR academic and professional programs.
- Establish alliances with organizations committed to the promotion and growth of employment, investment and patents of products and processes in Puerto Rico.